I follow in the way appointed me.
See complete instructions in separate document. A short summary:
- Read the commentary paragraph slowly and personally.
- Pray the prayer, perhaps several times.
- Morning and evening: Repeat the idea and then spend time in Open Mind Meditation.
- Hourly remembrance: Repeat the idea and then spend time in Open Mind Meditation.
- Frequent reminders: Repeat the idea and then spend a quiet moment in meditation.
- Response to temptation: Repeat the idea whenever upset, to restore peace.
- Read the "What Is" section slowly and thoughtfully once during the day.
"I have a special place to fill; a role for me alone" (1:1).
There is a place for me in the plan of Atonement. There is something that is meant specially for me to do, and until I find and fulfill my part, "salvation waits" (1:2). My particular twist on the insanity of separation needs to be healed before healing is complete.
I do believe we each have a particular part to play in the drama of salvation. We each have a "special function" to fulfill, and part of following the Holy Spirit is learning to discover what that role is. It may not be anything grand or large in the public eye. It may be the healing of one particular relationship. It might be, as it was with Helen Schucman, bringing some message from God into this world. It might be raising children and bringing them up from the perspective of a healed mind. It might be tending bar and listening to the patrons with forgiveness. But we do have a function, and we need to find and fill it.
Whatever it is, it will be some aspect of healing, some aspect of alleviating guilt, some way of recognizing the Christ in those around us. It will be a function which, in some way, gives and brings grace into the world, for all functions within the plan of God fall into this general category. Healing is our function here.
When I find my function I will find my happiness, for happiness is my function. This is what I choose today. Today, Father, I pray:
"I'll go where You would have me go; I'll do what You would have me do. I'll be forever in love with You." 1
All my sorrows end in Your embrace. (2:5)